COMING SOON TO CARYFORD

The CARYFORD Autumn Lecture

"Sound of Silence:

War, Peace, & Radio, 1922-1939"

Talk given by Professor Simon Potter

Saturday 19th October

Doors open 6.15 pm    Lecture starts 7.00 pm 

Entrance £11.00 or

£10.00 if bought in advance from Bailey Hill Bookshop

Canapé included

 

Fake news, foreign media intervention, manipulation of mass opinion - none of these things are new. Professor Potter's lecture will show how these themes shaped the early history of radio in the 1920s and 1930s, and how the threat of Nazi broadcasting undermined the independence of the BBC.

Simon Potter is Professor of Modern History at the University of Bristol. His research focuses on British imperial history and on media history, including the history of newspapers and the periodical press, radio broadcasting and television.

The Hard Way

Saturday 26th October

Doors open 6.45 pm

Performance starts 7.30 pm

The story of Hannah Mitchell, self-taught, self-made woman, campaigner, speaker, writer, suffragette, councillor and magistrate.

A one-woman show of storytelling and song by musician and composer Louise Jordan, celebrating Hannah's determination to take power in the face of insurmountable barriers.

 

Tickets can be bought in advance for £10.00 adult/£6.00 child from the Bailey Hill Bookshop or online from We Got Tickets (plus 10% booking fee).

To book online go to:

https://www.wegottickets.com/event/478545

Keith James

Sings the timeless songs of 

Yusuf CAT STEVENS

Saturday 16th November

Doors open 6.45 pm

Performance starts 7.30 pm

Keith James presents an honest and loving reflection on the insightful and timeless music of Yusef  Cat Stevens.  Songs such as Wild World, Father and Son, Moonshadow and Where do the Children Play have been covered by hundreds of Artists worldwide.

Keith James is a well-respected and inventive guitarist singer/songwriter, who specialises in performing intimate and carefully researched biographic style concerts.  He weaves the story of Yusuf Cat Stevens’ from his early career, life threatening illness and spiritual journey; around a performance of his well-crafted and memorable songs.

60% of all proceeds and audience donations from this concerts will go to the UNICEF UK Syrian Children’s appeal.  The remaining 40% going to the Caryford Hall Development Fund (Phase 2 building of the extension).

 

Tickets £12.00 can be bought in advance from the

  • Market House (Mon to Sat mornings only - cash only)

  • Bailey Hill Bookshop

  • or online from We Got Tickets (plus 10% booking fee).

To book online go to:

https://www.wegottickets.com/event/482348

© 2014 Caryford Community Hall. Proudly created with Wix.com